If we turn our faucet on and no water comes out, we try to fix it. If we flip the wall-switch and see no light, we start checking the wires. If we crank up our car and see the Service-Engine-Soon light, we take it to the mechanic. But what about our prayer life? When we feel like we are not getting through to the Lord we need to search intensely for the problem. There are many things that can hinder our prayer life:
1. Unconfessed Sin- sin affects our prayer life so that God cannot hear us when we pray. Ask God to reveal any sin that has never been confessed.
2. Undeterred Schedule– too many times we are so busy that when we pray our hearts and minds are in a thousand other places.
3. Unresolved Squabbles– if we have an unresolved issue with our brother or sister we are instructed to get things right with them before we attempt to approach God. One cannot pray effectively if he has issues with others.
4. Uncontrollable Struggles– sometimes we allow the burdens and weights of life to keep us from spending time with God in prayer- this is when we should pray the most.
5. Unasked Specifics- Vague generalities are the curse of our prayer life. We are to Ask, Seek, and Knock with specific requests in mind.
Determine today to remove these roadblocks from your life and make the most of your time with God.